This delectable nut roast combines the smoky flavours of red lentils with red pepper, leeks, mushrooms and garlic, along with some sweet cashew nuts. Serve this nut roast with a simple tomato sauce for optimum flavour.
450ml vegetable stock
200g split red lentils
100g cashew nuts
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
100g cheddar cheese
1 red pepper
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
Small handful freshly chopped parsley
1) Finely chop the onion, mushrooms, leek, garlic clove, and red pepper.
2) Rinse the lentils under cold water then simmer in the vegetable stock for 15-20 minutes until soft and pulpy.
3) Whilst the lentils are cooking, toast the nuts in a dry frying pan until golden, then whiz in a food processor until finely chopped.
4) Preheat the oven to 190C and grease and line a loaf tin.
5) Heat the oil in a frying pan and then fry the onion for five minutes, add the leeks, red pepper, mushrooms and garlic and fry for another 5-10 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
6) Stir the lentils and the nuts into the frying pan, add the breadcrumbs, the cheese and the egg, season well and then stir in the parsley.
7) Once fully combined, place the mixture into the loaf tin and level the top. Bake the nut roast for 30 minutes covered with foil and then remove the foil for another 30 minutes of cooking.
Source: Nut Roast Recipes.